What is a Search Marketing Strategist?
Occupation Description Employ search marketing tactics to increase visibility and engagement with content, products, or services in Internet-enabled devices or interfaces. Examine search query behaviors on general or specialty search engines or other Internet-based content. Analyze research, data, or technology to understand user intent and measure outcomes for ongoing optimization.
Life As a Search Marketing Strategist: What Do They Do?
- Optimize digital assets, such as text, graphics, or multimedia assets, for search engine optimization (SEO) or for display and usability on internet-connected devices.
- Implement online customer service processes to ensure positive and consistent user experiences.
- Collect and analyze Web metrics, such as visits, time on site, page views per visit, transaction volume and revenue, traffic mix, click-through rates, conversion rates, cost per acquisition, or cost per click.
- Collaborate with other marketing staff to integrate and complement marketing strategies across multiple sales channels.
- Coordinate with developers to optimize Web site architecture, server configuration, or page construction for search engine consumption and optimal visibility.
- Conduct online marketing initiatives, such as paid ad placement, affiliate programs, sponsorship programs, email promotions, or viral marketing campaigns on social media Web sites.
Search Marketing Strategist Required Skills
When polled, Search Marketing Strategists say the following skills are most frequently used in their jobs:
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Complex Problem Solving: Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Active Learning: Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Related Job Titles for this Occupation:
- Ecommerce Marketing Manager
- Usability Strategist
- Pay Per Click Specialist (PPC Specialist)
- Director of Search Engine Optimization (Director of SEO)
- Search Specialist
Search Marketing Strategist Employment Estimates
In 2016, there was an estimated number of 287,200 jobs in the United States for Search Marketing Strategist. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 9.3% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 26,600 new jobs for Search Marketing Strategist by 2026. The BLS estimates 22,400 yearly job openings in this field.
The states with the most job growth for Search Marketing Strategist are Washington, Utah, and Nevada. Watch out if you plan on working in Alaska, Maryland, or Mississippi. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Average Search Marketing Strategists Salary
The salary for Search Marketing Strategists ranges between about $47,350 and $144,820 a year.
Search Marketing Strategists who work in District of Columbia, Maryland, or New Hampshire, make the highest salaries.
How much do Search Marketing Strategists make in different U.S. states?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$117,540|
What Tools do Search Marketing Strategists Use?
Although they’re not necessarily needed for all jobs, the following technologies are used by many Search Marketing Strategists:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Hypertext markup language HTML
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Outlook
- Web browser software
- Microsoft Access
- Email software
- Microsoft Project
- Microsoft Visio
- Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop
- Structured query language SQL
- Microsoft Dynamics
- Microsoft SQL Server
- PHP: Hypertext preprocessor
- Adobe Systems Adobe Dreamweaver
How to Become a Search Marketing Strategist
Are there Search Marketing Strategists education requirements?
How Long Does it Take to Become a Search Marketing Strategist?
Search Marketing Strategists Sector
Search Marketing Strategists work in the following industries:
More about our data sources and methodologies.