What Do Robotics Engineer Do?
Job Description: Research, design, develop, or test robotic applications.
List of Robotics Engineer Job Duties
- Document robotic application development, maintenance, or changes.
- Provide technical support for robotic systems.
- Design or program robotics systems for environmental clean-up applications to minimize human exposure to toxic or hazardous materials or to improve the quality or speed of clean-up operations.
- Design robotics applications for manufacturers of green products, such as wind turbines or solar panels, to increase production time, eliminate waste, or reduce costs.
- Write algorithms or programming code for ad hoc robotic applications.
- Conduct research on robotic technology to create new robotic systems or system capabilities.
Robotics Engineer Skills
These are the skills Robotics Engineers say are the most useful in their careers:
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Monitoring: Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Systems Analysis: Determining how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations, and the environment will affect outcomes.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Complex Problem Solving: Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Other Robotics Engineer Job Titles
- Autonomous Vehicle Design Engineer
- Factory Automations Engineer
- Design Engineer
- Robotics Specialist
- Automation Engineer
Is There Job Demand for Robotics Engineers?
There were about 132,500 jobs for Robotics Engineer in 2016 (in the United States). New jobs are being produced at a rate of 6.4% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 8,500 new jobs for Robotics Engineer by 2026. The BLS estimates 9,500 yearly job openings in this field.
The states with the most job growth for Robotics Engineer are Nevada, Utah, and North Dakota. Watch out if you plan on working in Alaska, Minnesota, or Vermont. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Robotics Engineer Salary
The average yearly salary of a Robotics Engineer ranges between $50,750 and $155,650.
Robotics Engineers who work in District of Columbia, Maryland, or Virginia, make the highest salaries.
Below is a list of the median annual salaries for Robotics Engineers in different U.S. states.
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$132,530|
Tools & Technologies Used by Robotics Engineers
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Robotics Engineers may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft Windows
- Microsoft Project
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Microsoft Visio
- Structured query language SQL
- The MathWorks MATLAB
- Microsoft Visual Basic
- National Instruments LabVIEW
- Supervisory control and data acquisition SCADA software
How to Become a Robotics Engineer
What education or degrees do I need to become a Robotics Engineer?
What work experience do I need to become a Robotics Engineer?
Robotics Engineers Sector
The table below shows the approximate number of Robotics Engineers employed by various industries.
Those interested in being a Robotics Engineer may also be interested in:
More about our data sources and methodologies.